Thursday 15 October 2009

Marvelman 2009

Here's a portfolio piece of Marvelman, a character who, by rights of being un-reprinted for so long has gained something of mythological status for comic fans - I wanted to make him more athletic (think Michael Phelps) than the usual beefcake heroes (Wolverine/ Superman) you find in all the regular books:


Also, I'm a huuuuge fan of old sci-fi posters, a great example being Bob Peaks' Star Trek: The Motion Picture - which ticks all the boxes for me: colour, layout and exciting content - it's a pity the film didn't live up to the posters promise:

I was trying to go for that kind of retro, epic-vibe with a hint of the modern. Although trying to make Marvelmans crazy quiff look acceptable was the hardest part.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of Star Trek the Motion Picture, especially the Director's Edition that got released on DVD, I think it's probably one of the best Trek films, but people alays give it a hard time for being slow !!! Cool poster !! :)

    ReplyDelete